Unit 9 Armstrong Mall, Southwood Business Park, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 0NR, United Kingdom
Blue Ocean Seismic Services (BOSS) is seeking an experienced Autonomous Systems Engineer to lead the Communication, Command & Control, Autonomy & Information (C3AI) development work stream.
This is an exciting opportunity to join BOSS in a senior position, with the successful applicant playing a key role in the evolution and realisation of the BOSS technology vision.
The Senior Autonomous Systems Engineer, C3AI project work stream lead, is responsible for leading a primarily software focussed team in the development of the command & control, navigation, communication, and information system components of the BOSS autonomous seismic acquisition system.
This role is responsible for the management of a software focussed team, working closely with the other work stream leads to ensure successful development & integration of C3AI solutions with vehicle system; launch, recovery, handling, and storage systems; and geophysical data systems.
Responsible for overseeing system architecture design, planning, development, testing and qualification activities within the C3AI work stream and reporting progress to senior management and stakeholders throughout the life of the project.
The role is broad – covering concept formation through to implementation and from embedded system firmware through to human interface software across multiple platforms.
The position may present opportunities for some domestic and international travel, to support development, integration & system trials.
Boss is an innovative tech start up with strong shareholders including BP and Woodside. Our vision is to disrupt the Marine Seismic industry through the development of a large-scale autonomous ocean bottom seismic data acquisition system, resulting in a step change reduction in the cost, time and HSSE risks required to acquire high quality OBS data. We help our clients to reduce their carbon emissions and their carbon footprint.
BOSS is developing a revolutionary, integrated seismic acquisition system based around long endurance, self-repositioning robotic ocean bottom nodes.
These nodes are capable of multiple autonomous re-positions to allow rolling of the receiver array without having to recover and redeploy nodes. This, in combination with automated handling systems, rapid deployment/recovery and intelligent system control, allows for optimisation of seismic acquisition survey operations to minimise duration and cost, and removes the requirement for ROV support.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant engineering field (i.e. Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering) or equivalent experience, plus proven relevant industry or academic R&D experience.
• Technical expertise and recognized technical leader (subject matter expert) in one or more of the following technical areas: control systems & autonomy, robotics middleware, embedded control systems, subsea navigation, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and subsea acoustic communication & localisation.
• Demonstrated experience in R&D and/or software development team leadership role/s.
• Experience related to software and systems architecture, design, and system integration.
• Display technical aptitude and sound analytical, decision making, problem solving and task prioritisation skills.
• Proficient in the definition, analysis, and verification of system requirements
• Experience programming in C/C++/Python
• Hands on approach to design, development, and testing
• Highly proficient ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and effectively handle complex assignments.
• Self-motivated, innovative, willing to pursue new technical areas and capable of working independently.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Highly proficient ability in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions.
• Proficient in the use of common version control systems (e.g. Git) and project management tools (e.g. Jira)
• Knowledge/experience in the undersea domain
• Knowledge/experience of robotics middleware frameworks such as MOOS or ROS.
• Undersea system integration and testing experience
• Relevant discipline interest and working knowledge, for example:
• Demonstrated experience leading remote software development teams.
• Experience with operating and developing for MOOS, ROS or RTOS systems
• Experience in building agent-based architectures/systems.
• Experience with wireless sensor networks, and wireless communication protocols.
• Familiarity with industrial control systems.
• Full stack embedded system or IoT experience/experimentation, from bare-metal firmware through to user interface
• Familiarity of typical data storage approaches or solutions in distributed applications
• Familiarity with requirement management tools such as Jama, IBM Doors etc.
• User Interface design and development
• Experience with MATLAB Simulink