Unit 9 Armstrong Mall, Southwood Business Park, Farnborough, Hampshire GU14 0NR, United Kingdom
Working in the Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (UUV) Work Stream, within a multidisciplinary technology team, this role is suitable for an innovative mechanical marine engineer with experience in designing underwater vehicles and with an interest in challenging the conventional and seeing design concepts through to a final product.
The role is primarily focused on the design and optimisation of sub systems for a bespoke UUV given specified system constraints, with some aspects of surface vessel design, launch and evaluation.
BOSS is an established and innovative tech company with strong shareholders including BP. Our vision is to disrupt the Marine Seismic industry through the development of a large-scale autonomous ocean bottom seismic data acquisition system, resulting in a step change reduction in the cost, time and HSSE risks required to acquire high quality OBS data. We help our clients to reduce their carbon emissions and their carbon footprint.
BOSS is developing a revolutionary, integrated seismic acquisition system based around long endurance, self-repositioning robotic ocean bottom nodes.
These nodes are capable of multiple autonomous re-positions to allow rolling of the receiver array without having to recover and redeploy nodes. This, in combination with automated handling systems, rapid deployment/recovery and intelligent system control, allows for optimisation of seismic acquisition survey operations to minimise duration and cost, and removes the requirement for ROV support.
• Engineer degree qualified in one of the following disciplines: Naval Architect, Structural or Mechanical Engineering with some experience required.
• Relevant engineering track record for subsea mechanical design.
• Extensive experience with 3D modelling software (PTC Creo preferred or similar) to create complex part assembly models.
• The ability to work in the UK.
• Linear/non-linear structural analysis experience with FEA software.
• Technical understanding of subsea vehicle motion and fluid dynamics loading for mechanical design tasks.
• Good working knowledge of different engineering materials and corrosion management in a marine environment.
• Development of detailed subsystems and parts to meet required specified performance criteria.
• Detailed evaluation of design concepts through computational analysis and physical model testing.
• Production of design submittal documentation and associated reports when required.
• Production of detailed design drawings & specifications.
• Production of verified design for prototyping and manufacture.